[RndTbl] recommendations for 4k video card under Linux

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Apr 6 12:52:56 CDT 2018

Hi. Does anyone on the list have experience and recommendations on how
to support a 4k monitor under Linux? We want to use a single Dell 27" 4k
monitor (P2715Q) with a CentOS 7 system. What would be a good choice for
a PCIe x16 video card, preferably with DisplayPort output, that can
support 4k at 60 Hz and has good driver support under X.org - hopefully
without having to resort to 3rd party pre-compiled, version-specific
binary kernel modules? If we can keep the price for the card below
$200-$300 that would be great.

Unfortunately my Google searches this morning for this have had a pretty
low signal to noise ratio. Mostly people having problems with nVidia
drivers.

Possibly relevant h/w info: ASUS M5A78L-Mlx+ motherboard and AMD FX-6350
CPU. Power supply has a spare 6-pin (3x2) PCI-E power connector for
cards that require a dedicated power connection.

Thanks for any advice.

Gilles

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>