[RndTbl] rotated screens under Linux

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 30 12:38:30 CDT 2018

On 2018-04-30 11:34, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> On 2018-04-28 04:47, Trevor Cordes wrote:
>> As for login screens: mine is rotated 90 degrees because of my
>> preferred physical rotation. :-)  If I have to mouse something it sure
>> makes it challenging.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing.  Now if someone gets 2 2k or 4k monitors working on
>> Linux, that's what we need to hear reported next!  (And if using DP
>> daisychain...)
> As for the rotated login screen, I did have to figure that out on a
> different RHEL 7 clone system. (Another lab, that got the video detail
> they needed by sacrificing time resolution on the X axis to gain
> voltage resolution on the Y.) The trick is once you have the display
> configured properly for your login account, you need to copy that to
> GDM's configuration:
>
>     cp /home/<username>/.config/monitors.xml /var/lib/gdm/.config/
>
> On Ubuntu, that directory would be /var/lib/gdm3/.config/ according to
> what I read online. If you have many login usernames that will use
> that rotated monitor, you may want to copy monitors.xml to their
> ~/.config directory too, or they will have to do the monitor
> configuration themselves when they first login.

I also found a trick to handle rotated screens in GRUB. I haven't tried
it myself yet, because it hasn't been a priority for us, but if it
matters to you, they cover that here:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/36631/configure-monitors-for-login-screen/

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>