[RndTbl] Hard drive failure - turned out to be an SSD

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Jun 27 02:02:52 CDT 2018

On 2018-06-22 Frank H wrote:
> Hey guys,
> When my friend game me his failed hd it is an SSD.
> System sees it but can't open
> See attached video for the sound it is making.
> Hope 16GB isn't too big.
> I know odds are low but just have to ask if anyone has any ideas.
> Freezing SSDs is not a thing correct? Sure sounds like moving parts
> to me. Never troubleshot an SSD before. Thanks,Frank

That isn't an SSD.  That's a notebook hard drive (spinning rust).
That's a typical death click, and even worse it sounds like scraping
too.

You're probably not going to get any data off of that.

If you desperately need the data, one of the recovery places might be
able to do something with it for $1000+.

If it's not worth that much, I would pop it open to take a look (as
you have nothing to lose).  I bet there's scrapes all over the platter.
If there isn't, you might be able to buy an identical (all #'s match
except the serial) drive and swap platters.  Not very easy, but might
work.