[RndTbl] recommendations for 4k video card under Linux

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 3 11:00:00 CDT 2018

On 2018-05-03 01:56, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> On 2018-05-01 Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>> exploring, and I may delay the journey for as long as I can. As for
>> vdpau, given the lack of feedback in the X logs, I can't tell if it's
>> there or not. It's not showing up in lsmod, if it's supposed to
> If you can install mplayer easily, this should tell you (me!):
>
> mplayer -vo help |grep vdpau
>
> but maybe also test:
>
> mplayer -vo vdpau foobar.mp4
>
> and look for a line like:
> VO: [vdpau] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12
>
> If you don't have vdpau support, the VO will be something else, or
> nothing will play at all.

Well, I *could* install mplayer, but not easily. I did install it on
another EL7 clone system, but it required installing nux-dextop-release
and getting mplayer and all the MPEG support libraries from the nux
repos. There were a few conflicts I had to manage after that, and
eventually ended up disabling that repo by default so automatic updates
would work again. It's a little too much complexity to answer a question
I'm not all that invested in personally. So, unless I need mplayer
and/or MPEG support on this particular system for any other reason, I'm
inclined to leave well enough alone for now.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/