[RndTbl] setting up RAID 1 with mdadm

Gilles Detillieux grdetil at scrc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 4 08:33:11 CDT 2018

Circumstances finally forced me to bite the bullet and learn something I
had been putting off for too long: setting up a RAID array under Linux.
I'm almost embarrassed, now that I've done it, that I waited so long
because it was way simpler than I'd imagined. I thought I'd have to
figure out all kinds of magic with LVM, parted, and mdadm, but I found
this tutorial that showed a simple set of mdadm commands to set up RAID 1:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-raid-arrays-with-mdadm-on-ubuntu-16-04

This was actually one of the simplest scenarios: the system had an SSD
for the root/boot partition, and two 2 TB hard drives for data storage
(/dev/sdb & sdc), so I just needed to set up RAID 1 and not worry about
the intricacies of booting from RAID. So, software RAID seemed like the
quick & easy way to go with a minimum of fuss.

Now the nagging question: is it really this simple, or does the tutorial
above oversimplify and omit some important steps? Can someone with ample
RAID and mdadm experience advise or provide tips on anything else I
should do or lookout for?

Thanks,
Gilles

--