[RndTbl] setting up RAID 1 with mdadm

Scott Toderash scott at 100percenthelpdesk.com
Thu Oct 4 10:07:12 CDT 2018

Here are my notes from the last time I build a Linux RAID on LVM. This
was on 16.04LTS

I think my approach was slightly different. The RAID device is created
on the LVM devices.

1. create partitions of type Linux RAID Autodetect on both disks
fdisk -l /dev/sdb
fdisk -l /dev/sdc
2. create a RAID array called md0 using mdstat
sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1
3. add the md0 raid device to the LVM pool
sudo pvcreate /dev/md0
4. create a volume group called datavg
sudo vgcreate datavg /dev/md0
5. create a logical volume called datalv within the volume group
sudo lvcreate --name datalv --size 1.8T datavg
6. format the newly created logical volume
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/datavg/datalv
7. move home files to a temporary location, create a new home and mount
the newly formatted device there, copy the original home files to the
new device
sudo mv home home.orig; sudo mkdir home ; sudo chmod 777 home ; sudo
mount /dev/mapper/datavg-datalv /home ; sudo cp -a /home.orig/* home
8. edit fstab for startup config for this disk