[RndTbl] Certification guidance

Chrinkus seeschickrun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 21:23:53 CDT 2019

Hello, I'm a newer member to MUUG, I attended my first meeting in March.
I left that meeting with a lot to think about but excited by the talk
and discussions I witnessed.

(I keep typing out a big long story about my desire to learn more about
UNIX, and more specifically Linux, but it gets long and I delete it.
This email has been in my draft folder for a few days now, I'm getting
to the point.)

Anyway, I'd like to work towards some level of certification. There seem
to be a few "Big Certs" out there, Red Hat's, LPI's and the Linux
Foundation's. For the moment I've decided to work towards the LPIC-1 due
to the cost and apparent credibility. I have a book and am starting my
free trial on Pluralsight to kickstart my learning.

My question is perhaps just more me seeking confirmation that I've
jumped to some decent conclusions. LPI is Canadian-based and usually #2
on the best-lists I've found. I'm loving the book, The Linux Command
LIne, 2nd ed, but haven't used Pluralsight before. I landed on it mostly
because its ads annoy me the least out of all of the online learning
sources.

Thank you for your time,

Chris Schick

* I missed the April meeting because our kids were both sick and I
didn't want to leave my wife alone with that mess. Looking forward to May!