[RndTbl] MUUG Meeting, Dec 10, 7:30pm -- UNIX @ 50, Round-table, Mingling and Munchies

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Dec 3 15:28:16 CST 2019

The Manitoba UNIX User Group (MUUG) will be holding its next monthly
meeting on Tuesday, December 10.  The meeting topic for this month is as
follows:

    UNIX at 50 (A Personal History)

    UNIX turned 50 this past summer. Gilbert Detillieux has worked
    with UNIX systems for the last 40 of those 50 years. In this
    not-too-technical presentation, Gilbert will take you through 5
    decades of UNIX evolution (with some personal reflections on the
    last 4 of those decades). Come for the interesting trivia, stay
    for the philosophical musings!

    Round-table, Mingling and Munchies

    As 2019 draws to a close, MUUG will continue our recent tradition
    of turning the December meeting into more of a social event.

    *Bring your favourite gadget!*

    We will have the usual round-table session, followed by the RTFM
    presentation (see above), then a gadget show & tell, and finally,
    some time for mingling, eating, and drinking.

    *This will be a pot-luck snack event.*

    Cookies and pop will be provided by MUUG, but members are encouraged
    to bring their own finger food to sample and share. Feel free to
    bring your own drink as well if you want something particular - just
    remember that we don't have a liquor license!

    Winnipeg Harvest Food Drive

    Also as in previous years, we will combine our pot luck with a
    food drive for Winnipeg Harvest. Cash donations are preferred this
    year as every $1 Winnipeg Harvest receives, they are able to pick
    up and deliver $20 worth of groceries.

    *Any member who donates at least $1 or brings at least 1 food item
    will be given an entry into the door prize draw!*

    Winnipeg Harvest has information about what they're looking for on
    their website:

	http://winnipegharvest.org/donate-food/

The group holds its meetings at 7:30pm on the second Tuesday of every
month from September to June.  (There are no meetings in July and
August.) Meetings are open to the general public; you don't have to be a
MUUG member to attend.

    Please note our new meeting location for this month: *Room 1L06*
    Lockhart Hall, University of Winnipeg, entrance on Ellice Ave.
    between Spence and Balmoral St.

    Parking is available on the surrounding streets and in the lots
    on nearby streets.  Look for signage once you're at the building,
    or ask a security guard.

For more information about MUUG, and its monthly meetings, check out
their web server:

	https://muug.ca/

Help us promote this month's meeting, by putting this poster up on your
workplace bulletin board or other suitable public message board:

	https://muug.ca/meetings/MUUGmeeting.pdf

--
Manitoba UNIX User Group	E-mail: <gedetil at muug.ca>
c/o Gilbert E. Detillieux	Web:	http://muug.ca/