[RndTbl] MTS blocking NTP

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sun Jan 27 02:35:23 CST 2019

On 2019-01-26 Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> On my MTS home fibre connection, my Windows 10 PC fails to
> synchronize to the two MS defaults, time.windows.com and
> time.nist.gov. ntp.mts.net does work for me, and also to my surprise,
> so does 0.pool.ntp.org.

Just tested, all above are blocked for me.  Weird that the 0.pool works
for you since that's just a DNS load-balancing placeholder, meaning it
will return different IP addresses each time.  For MTS to poke a hole
for such a thing probably would be quite tricky.

Note: looks like the surest test is to stop ntpd and run ntpdate
foo.com then ntpdate -u foo.com.  The -u should always work.  The non-u
will fail if filtering is being done and you don't have workarounds in
place.

Looks like (big surprise) MTS & Bell are fragmented in terms of what
they block depending on whether you are home/business and/or
dsl/vdsl/fibre.

(Have I ever mentioned I hate MTS?)     ;-)