[RndTbl] Shaw second WAN IP with XB6

Wyatt Zacharias wyatt at magitech.ca
Fri Jul 12 09:12:13 CDT 2019

Is anyone else here using Shaw with the Arris XB6 modem is bridge mode? If
so, have you asked Shaw for a second WAN IP and gotten it? I've been
running my modem like this for many months now without issue, but my
coworker is getting the run-around from Shaw, saying he already has two IPs
in use on his modem. Well it seems that the XB6, even in bridge mode still
holds its own WAN IP, separate from the one that is issued to the clients
router. So in my case I actually have three IPs, one is on the WAN
interface of the modem, the other two go to DHCP clients on my routers. But
in my coworkers case, Shaw says that this means he needs to be allocated a
third IP, which is an extra $10/month.

So if you're running an XB6 in bridge mode could you do me a favour and go
to the modem admin page (10.0.0.1, yes it's still active, even in bridge
mode) and go to Gateway > Connection > Shaw Network and see if your modem
has a WAN IP that is different than your router has, and if you have two
WAN IPs like me, is the modem WAN IP different than both of them?

--
Wyatt Zacharias