[RndTbl] The "Save .org" petition

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Tue Nov 26 12:07:18 CST 2019

Is there any TLD that's safe - for now, at least - from such an interference?

---- On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 11:43:00 -0600 athompso at athompso.net wrote ----

On 2019-11-26 10:29, Glen Ditchfield wrote:
> As you may have heard, ICANN removed the price caps on .org domains,
> then
> quietly decided to sell the .org registry to a private equity firm
> linked to a
> former ICANN CEO and several American billionaires (https://
> www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/26/org_selloff_internet/).
>
> So, a bunch of respectable organizations have started a petition to
> stop that,
> at https://savedotorg.org/ . Signing might help.

Given the absolute failure of governance at ICANN, which seems to be
spreading to NRO, IANA, etc., I think "Save dotOrg" has about as much
chance of success as "Save Concordia" did locally, no matter the
justness of the cause.

What *would* be a good idea, though, despite the "rewarding bad
behaviour" aspect of it, would be renew any .org domains you have, NOW,
for the maximum term (10 years). Several industry observers are
expecting prices to rise >10x, so you'll probably be saving a good chunk
of money by doing it now.

-Adam