[RndTbl] Gmail problem sending from your own SMTP server

Gilbert E. Detilllieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 20 10:47:36 CDT 2020

Initially, it was just a guess, based on the reported error message.
Then I started to suspect that was the problem.  (Knowing that the host
names used in the config were in the SAN list, and that the canonical
name wasn't.)  Then, one of our grad students found these forum posts...

Issue: https://support.google.com/mail/thread/38789651?hl=en
Recommended answer:
https://support.google.com/mail/thread/38336515?msgid=39890656

... which confirmed my suspicions.  Adding the PTR record fixed the
problem, and further confirmed my suspicions and what was claimed in the
forum posts.

Incidentally, cranking the sendmail LogLevel past 11 (and all the way up
to 14) didn't shed any extra light.  All we saw was that connections
from google.com servers would start TLS negotiations, and then just
disconnect before issuing any SMTP commands.  I had to rely on users to
send me error messages from their bounce messages to see what was
failing on the client side, i.e. Google's side:

TLS Negotiation failed, the certificate doesn't match the host.

Not much to go on!

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>