[RndTbl] Gmail problem sending from your own SMTP server

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 20 11:47:52 CDT 2020

On 2020-04-20 11:10 a.m., Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> Quoting from the "solution":
>
>  > It is rare, but it is possible that the server will use a different
> certificate on different ports, so switching between 465, 587 and 25
> might yield better results.  Again, the best source for the settings is
> your email provider.

In our case, the exact same certificate is used, regardless of which
port the connection comes in on.  I suspect that would be true for just
about anyone, except for some weird cloud hosting providers, maybe...

> I tested both 465 SSL and 587 TLS right after encountering the solution,
> and they both work, though I am under the impression that Gmail favours
> TLS (whereas I've hitherto always been using SSL).  Any thoughts on that?

I don't think it makes any difference, really.  (YMMV, depending on
server software used.)

Note that here the distinction in terminology between SSL and TLS is
simply that the "SSL" port negotiates the encryption right on open,
rather than after the client issuing a STARTTLS command, which is the
case with the "TLS" port.

This is not referring to protocol versions.  These days, all actual SSL
protocol versions are obsolete, and should not be used.  Even older TLS
versions 1.0 and 1.1 should now be avoided.  This is configured
separately, and should be independent of the port used to connect.

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science    Web:     http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/