[RndTbl] talk/ntalk

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Apr 29 02:12:18 CDT 2020

On 2020-04-28 Gerald Brandt wrote:
> If it compiles and runs, and you just want it to start, can't you
> throw it into crontab with @start or @reboot (whichever one it is).

Nope, doesn't run even manually:

2:00am html/Eword/Live#/usr/sbin/in.talkd
Socket operation on non-socketExit 1
2:00am html/Eword/Live#/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
Socket operation on non-socketExit 1

strace:
getsockname(0, 0x7ffcb85f1820, [16])    = -1 ENOTSOCK (Socket operation
on non-socket)
write(2, "Socket operation on non-socket", 30Socketoperation on non-socket) = 30
exit_group(1)                           = ?
+++ exited with 1 +++

>From the man page there really are no options.  -d debugging doesn't
give me any further info.

Looks like something is really busted in the way it listens on its
socket.  I checked and talk's usual 2 ports (whether "n" or not) aren't
taken.

I was just wondering if maybe there was some weird config file or
undocumented command line option I'm missing that someone knows about.
It is a strangely optionless daemon.

Tim: I forgot to mention, I don't even need inter-machine support... I
just want to run talk on one box between 2 people logged in to that 1
box.

But I do want something that has the nice split window paradigm that
talk uses.