[RndTbl] CentOS 8 is dead - CentOS Stream?

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Wed Dec 9 09:33:15 CST 2020

As one of our topics yesterday, CentOS 8 will be gone in a few months.

I mentioned being willing to migrate to Debian on my virtualization box.
Still, as one commenter somewhere said, Red Hat owns the userspace on
Linux. Think what you may about that, it is what it is.

If any of you would rather just jump to CentOS Stream - which will be a
test bed for the point-releases of RHEL, so less of a "fun ride" than
Fedora Server - the process is (taken from
https://centos.org/distro-faq/#q7-how-do-i-migrate-my-centos-linux-8-installation-to-centos-stream):

root at centos-linux# dnf install centos-release-stream

root at centos-linux# dnf distro-sync

root at centos-stream# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Stream release 8

I am in the middle of this as I type this message. Will give feedback later.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao