[RndTbl] Fedora 32 and Matrox G200e
alberto at abrao.net
Wed Dec 9 21:10:40 CST 2020
Yesterday Trevor mentioned that Brad (was it him?) is having issues
getting video output on Fedora 32 using a Matrox G200e.
Coincidentally, I have a server with the exact same video card that I
can use for testing.
After updates, same issue happened here. No video.
1) Obviously, we need to boot first. So edit the GRUB boot entry and
pass the parameter "vga=793" right after "quiet".
2) Then, edit /etc/default/grub and, on GRUB_CMDLINE after quiet, add
(...) quiet -- vga=793"
Last time I looked, the "--" after the last parameter will ensure that
any Kernel updates and whatnot will not remove this parameter. That may
have changed, it's been a while, but it does work anyway.
Then, reinstall GRUB.
card sees a monitor that supports a higher resolution than it can
display, tries to use it, fails miserably. That parameter will force the
1280x1024 resolution, which is working fine on my 1080p display.
* To see all modes, pass "vga=ask" after quiet. Press ENTER to see
* To use another one, convert the Mode for the desired Resolution to
decimal. To do so, I used:
printf "%d\n" 0x319 (for 1280x1024)
Equals 793. vga=793. :D
(obviously, most of that is most likely redundant to some - or even most
- here. Still, in case it is useful to someone, there it is!)
More information about the Roundtable