[RndTbl] Shaw blocking port 25 on business line

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Tue Jan 21 12:25:43 CST 2020

Hi,

I've been fighting with Shaw for days on this. I have what they call a
business account with 8 static IPs.

I can telnet mail.shaw.ca 25 and get a connection. So, inside their
network, SMTP works.

If I try to telnet to any other server on port 25, i get no connection.
e.g. telnet to google email servers fails, telnet to my server in
Montreal fails.).

To test that port 25 was open, they had me start Firefox, login to
gmail, and send an email from my gmail to my gmail account. that was
proof they weren't blocking port 25... Yeah.

Right now, in order to get email out, i am using mail.shaw.ca as a
relay. That is not supported, so they are asking me to not do that. I
told them if I don't use them as a replay, i can't get email out. They
did not understand.

Does anyone have any idea how to get these guys to understand what is
going on? Am i using the wrong terminology? I can't see how I can make
it any clearer to them that they are blocking port 25 access to any
system outside of their network.

Gerald