[RndTbl] Shaw blocking port 25 on business line

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Jan 23 03:42:30 CST 2020

On 2020-01-21 Gerald Brandt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been fighting with Shaw for days on this. I have what they call
> a business account with 8 static IPs.
>
> I can telnet mail.shaw.ca 25 and get a connection. So, inside their
> network, SMTP works.
>
> If I try to telnet to any other server on port 25, i get no
> connection. e.g. telnet to google email servers fails, telnet to my
> server in Montreal fails.).

There is no reason your business account should have port 25 blocked,
in either direction.  If they have done that to you, complain and get
them to fix it.  If they gave you a static range, make sure you are
using it and not grabbing one of their residential DHCP addresses by
accident.

Also, the business side has some smart people working there, so there's
no reason you shouldn't be able to get it resolved by people who
understand your language.

I just checked and my customers on Shaw business have port 25 outgoing
unblocked.