[RndTbl] PostgreSQL vs MariaDB

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Wed Jan 29 12:27:41 CST 2020

On 2020-01-29 11:44, Alberto Abrao wrote:
> I am in the process of rebuilding my Nextcloud setup.
>
> My current one uses MariaDB, which is the recommended one by
> NextCloud. I had a few issues that needed database repair since then,
> but other than that it works fine.
>
> That said, as I am going to do it all from scratch - my aim is to set
> it up integrated with e-mail - I was wondering if I should use
> PostgreSQL instead.
>
> I know nothing at all about databases, so I was wondering if one - or
> many - of our wise fellows here could chime in and give an informed
> opinion on the matter.
>
> Thanks!

The $0.10 overview is:

* PostgreSQL is a much more capable database, adheres more closely to
standards, and has features MySQL/MariaDB/etc can only dream of.  But
it's a bit of a pain to run in production.

* MySQL/MariaDB comes from a really crappy starting place, so all the
nice features are bolt-ons, and there's lots of legacy technical debt.
On the other hand, it's mostly fire-and-forget, and Every. Single.
Application. out there supports MySQL and has instructions or a HOWTO
for it.

YMMV.  Use whichever database your app supports best, unless you have a
compelling need to change.

-Adam