[RndTbl] Hacking Shaw email

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Tue Mar 17 23:36:56 CDT 2020

On 2020-03-16 Rob Dyck wrote:
> I have an odd question. The girlfriend's ex-mother-inlaw got herself
> in trouble with Shaw. She claims Shaw is holding her email and
> contacts hostage. We suspect she just hasn't paid her bill and got
> cut off. She asked my girlfriend to ask me how to get her email.
> Anyway to do that? Other than paying her bill?

I would say it's hopeless.  They would mark the account unusable and it
would then (probably) be unusable by any method.  Short of finding a
zero-day on their POP3 software, I'd say it's completely impossible.
:-)

The better advice is to use a non-ISP address (even, yuck, gmail) or go
to one of those places that let you buy your own domain and also
provide email (and dns) hosting.  Of course, that's a horse and barn
door type answer.