[RndTbl] Opinions on Fedora Server

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Wed Mar 25 00:44:08 CDT 2020

Thanks for your input Trevor.

A little of background:

I am a big Fedora fan for my desktop machines.

My use case is a server for my things+wife's and family's small business
back home. It's Nextcloud and, after the latest redeployment, e-mail. It
runs right here at my house, and is nothing more than consumer hardware
on a regular case.

It started with CentOS 7 from May/2018 up to Jan/2020, and, along with
Nextcloud and sans e-mail, it had extra duties such as being an router
and Samba server for my internal network. Other than a few updates
coughing up a hairball because of the extra repos I added for Nextcloud,
it didn't give me a lot of trouble. For the few times it did, a few
minutes of searching and/or raw bravery were enough to get it back up. I
even switched it from one machine to another out of boredom... a few
times. In retrospect, I was kind of trying to break it, but never
managed to. It was never down for more than a few minutes other than
regular hardware upkeep and, of course, moving it to different hardware.
Manitoba Hydro, however, did fry its PSU at one point, and that was its
longest downtime because I was 300kms away, so kudos to them! =D

At that point, I was playing - and learning - a lot on it, the whole
thing was rough around the edges. Not to mention that I was finally able
to have my local network duties on another piece of equipment. It was
time for a refresh.

Moved to Debian on Jan/2020 soon after I moved to Winnipeg, and it's
running great. That's when I decided to try Debian on everything -
including workstations. But something about Debian irks me. Maybe the
package management system? I don't know for sure.

So today I was moving my laptop back to Fedora and I realized... why not
run that on a server just for fun? Going by what you are telling me,
well, I have no issues with troubleshooting the odd thing at random
times, I find it fun to be honest. So I might as well run it. Keeps me
sharp.

Once again, thanks for your input!

Alberto Abrao
204-202-1778