[RndTbl] Gmail spam filtering super-aggressive lately

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Mar 25 01:30:11 CDT 2020

On 2020-03-25 Hartmut W Sager wrote:
> I've had a lot of trouble in the last few months with Gmail's spam
> filtering having become super-aggressive, but tonight we have a live
> case worthy of analysis.  In the thread "Opinions on Fedora Server"
> initiated by Alberto Abrao <alberto at abrao.net>, *both* of Alberto's
> postings went to my Gmail spam, while Trevor Cordes's posting came
> through fine.

Gmail is a big pain in the ... from a mail admin's perspective.  They
do what they want.  They're like the borg... trying to complain to them
gets you the same result.

I know a lot of MUUGers are using gmail for their own domains.  They
often get muug emails (especially from me) blocked or hidden in spam
boxes.  Hidden isn't so bad, but outright blocked is darn evil.

For the uber-MUUGers, I still maintain that running your own MTA is a
better choice.  MTS makes it darn hard, but Shaw is doable even on res
accounts if you get an outside smarthost for sending on another port
(like 26) (or even use Shaw's on p25) -- they only block outgoing port
25, not incoming.

Don't feed the borg.  They read and datamine all of your emails.

> Yeah, I suspect the trouble is somewhere in Gmail's new expectations
> re TXT SPF, DKIM, DomainKeys, and such.

For Alberto's email, in gmail's web interface (or maybe even just in
the textual headers if you use another MUA) you can dig down to the
headers and they'll tell you precisely if spf and dk verified or not.
Yes, gmail and hotmail and yahoo now make it pretty much required you
have at least one of those technologies running (and one is usually
good enough).  If you check Alberto's, maybe you can let him know which
ones he might be missing.  Looks like Alberto is using a Shaw business
setup and has proper dns and rdns working, and seems to run his own MTA.
Looks like a good setup Alberto!

Good luck!