[RndTbl] win server licence

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Mon Mar 30 14:24:22 CDT 2020

Also, beware: it can sometimes be cheaper to buy new hardware with a WS
OEM license than to up-license an existing system using a retail
license.   Right now it looks like a retail license of WS2019 Essentials
only costs US$500, but there's a whole bunch of gotchas with the
Essentials license.  I can't find a good, single, reference that
captures them all, sorry.  Standard is where OEM pricing begins to
really be useful.

Anything else requires signing an Open License agreement with an MS
reseller.  MS does NOT seem to want to make it easy for a medium-sized
business to get on board the MS train... tiny-to-small shops is easy,
and huge shops reasonably so, but the mid-market as always gets left
behind.

-Adam