[RndTbl] Main firewall / router for public facing subnet

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Mon Mar 30 17:42:30 CDT 2020

Right now I have the servers on their own and my internal network is
routed using an OpenBSD box.

Doing it for a single external IP is manageable to me, the thing is the
leap in doing it for multiple public IPs. I do know I have some heavy
reading ahead, and I look forward to it. Any recommendations are very
much appreciated.

I did what you mentioned with a multi-function CentOS machine for the
longest time, then when I got multiple static IPs I decided to route my
internal network with Debian. After a while, decided to try
IPFire/pfSense/OPNsense, but it wasn't long until I got tired of the
GUI. So Adam mentioned OpenBSD is the thing if you want security, and
I've been looking for ways to get my feet wet on the BSDs besides
purpose-built ready-to-go packages such as *sense. And here I am.

I used to do one-box-for-everything as well, mostly because I didn't
have a lot of equipment to begin with. However, I see lots of people
talking about security, and I can see having things on separate places
reduces the impact if any of them were to be breached. Also, I am kind
of OCD with my hardware. It sucked having my wife screaming on one side
and family calling on the other because I knocked off the lone box
whenever I wanted to dust its fans. At least now I can pick my battles =D

Alberto Abrao
204-202-1778
204-558-6886
www.abrao.net