[RndTbl] MUUG Online Meeting, May 12, 7:30pm -- Setting up a Jitsi Server

eh at eduardhiebert.com eh at eduardhiebert.com
Tue May 5 13:18:52 CDT 2020

Having spent hours trying to find alternatives to zoom, thanks Alberto
for raising the profile on this one!   May thanks to all at Muug who
have and will put this together

With much caution the first and only time I tried to participate by zoom
I never managed to get on and true to public information the uninstall
was neither thorough nor complete.

The fact that Jits is an open source platform  on the subject of privacy
and surveillance already speaks reams and the following are but a few
highlights beginning with one accounted for negative in that it will be
using a g00gle API with again that qualifier of "plans to": "<b>Jitsi
plans</b> to use an API called called "Insertable Streams" that Google
recently launched in conjunction with other features that it's building
in-house. The API scrambles up video and audio in streaming, so that no
third party – including the service provider – will be able to
understand it and spy on people in the meeting. "

Open source platform Jitsi plans to start offering a major security
feature that Zoom, Microsoft, and Google lack: End-to-end encryption for
video conferencing.  <b>Here's how it plans to take on its rivals (EH
note: not there yet but aiming to!)</b>
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/open-source-platform-jitsi-plans-to-start-offering-a-major-security-feature-that-zoom-microsoft-and-google-lack-end-to-end-encryption-for-video-conferencing-heres-how-it-plans-to-take-on-its-rivals/ar-BB130AfN

Jitsi Meet - Instant Free Videoconferencing
[Search domain jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/] https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/
More secure, more flexible, and completely free video conferencing. Go
ahead, video chat with the whole team. In fact, invite everyone you
know. Jitsi Meet is a fully encrypted, 100% open source video
conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free —
with no account needed. What else can you do with Jitsi Meet?

Jitsi - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitsi] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitsi
Jitsi is a collection of free and open-source multiplatform voice
(VoIP), videoconferencing and instant messaging applications for the web
platform, Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS and Android. The Jitsi project
began with the Jitsi Desktop (previously known as SIP Communicator).
With ...