[RndTbl] Advice on finally buying my first laptop

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Sun Sep 27 23:39:46 CDT 2020

It'll be hard to convince you that your HPs were bad, because they were
probably not. The high-end models are good overall no matter the brand.
(Well, except for Acer, because their high-end gear is... well...
average, and priced accordingly. Acer is a budget brand, and, as long as
you know what you are getting, this is not a bad thing).

However, there are some things that I expect no matter the price. For
example, I do not expect a great, clean Windows install from any brand
on the low-tier models. It is what it is. But I do expect to find
drivers without too much hassle so I can clean it up and start fresh. Or
that a BIOS update will go through without further concerns. I also want
to easily find downloads for older products. I am not talking about
updated everything, of course. Instead, I expect to have access to an
archive of everything that was released for a particular model, even if
it is 5+ years old. And, of course, I want it to last at least 3+ years
being reasonably taken care of without glaring issues like overheating
or something blowing up/failing.

And, in my experience, HP fails miserably on all of these points. Some
are personal experience, some are from my current and past professional
activities. A few ones that I can think of:

1) At one point, I had a HP Microserver N54L to which drivers and
firmware updates were not available, unless you had an active support
contract. HP is the only one I've seen doing this. You would have no
issues getting that for any Acer/Lenovo/Dell/Asus product, no matter how
cheap/expensive, consumer/enterprise, desktop/workstation/server, whatever.
2) When I worked at repair centres at one point or another, HPs were a
huge staple. Their support is awful, they tend to have thermal issues,
and they love to brick themselves during BIOS updates. This last one
happened so often it was a running joke at one point. Myself, I can deal
with these issues most of the time. But if someone asks me which brand
to buy, I am not going to tell them to get something that they - or
someone they will pay to do so - will have to deal with. I assume they
want something they can use, and if possible, enjoy.
3) Most of the time, whatever it is that you're paying for an HP model,
you can get something better from another brand for the same price.
That's not always true of course, but it is often the case. Personally,
if I am willing to deal with an occasional headache, I would rather have
an Acer. They're cheap, and, if you are not too hard on your stuff, they
last long enough. Or an Asus if I want something fancier.

Now, Dell and Lenovo:

1) Generally more expensive, even the consumer-grade stuff, but better
quality.
2) I've never dealt with Lenovo support for consumer-grade products, but
Dell is really good, like hassle-free good, enterprise-level for
consumer-grade gear. Enterprise is usually decent no matter what for any
of them, because enterprise.
3) Both seem to be cutting corners on quality recently. That goes for
the whole industry, it seems. They are still ahead of the others on quality.
4) Nice resell value. I don't know if you care, but if you do, they will
hold their value better than the other brands.
5) They will have better Linux support.
6) I am not very familiar with Dell customization options, but be
careful with Lenovo. If you think you're getting a steal of a deal, pay
more attention before going ahead, because they will happily ship you a
brand-new ThinkPad laptop with a 1366x768 TN panel. In 2020. Yes, I've
unboxed these. And *there's* your deal!

Asus and Acer:

1) Asus is, in general, higher quality than Acer. However, there's
always *something* that goes pooch on a particular model, like
clockwork. Most of the time, it is the display ribbon cable and/or the
power supply. The former can be a PITA to replace, but the replacement
part is cheap most of the time. The latter is just a matter of buying
another one, but not always cheap. If you're doing your own repairs, or
don't mind paying if necessary, you may be willing to go ahead with Asus
and do it if/when the time comes, because they do offer a quality+value
combination that is often unbeatable, especially when things such as
dedicated graphics are a must.
2) Acer tends to have a more fragile enclosure, so if you're the
hooligan type, it will show. But other than that, they don't seem to
have any ticking time bomb hardware-wise most of the time. That said, it
never hurts to search for a particular model number to research before
purchasing.

Asus and Acer are also the ones to buy if you're concerned about vendor
lock-in practices such as BIOS whitelisting. It may be a moot point by
now, as most manufactures are soldering the hell out of everything, but
worth mentioning.

Still, as much as I've seen (and fixed) a bunch of stuff, that's just,
like, my opinion, man. You do you. Still, if I can be of any assistance,
feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao
204-202-1778