[RndTbl] email-receive blacklist?

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 29 09:41:07 CDT 2021

Not sure who decided MX records were mandatory, and for what reason.
There was a time that you supplied MX record(s) if...

1. You needed to specify a different host/domain name for the mail
exchanger than the particular host/domain itself, or...

2. You had multiple mail exchangers that could handle mail for a
particular host/domain (possibly with different priorities).

In the simple case of a single host handling its own mail, there was no
need for an MX record to override the default (the A record was sufficient).

I guess in our increasingly aggressive attempts at fighting spam, we've
come to treat all the simple, small domains as suspicious?  Or have I
missed something here?

(And don't get me started on some of the bogus errors that mxtoolbox.com
reports on perfectly valid SOA serial numbers and TTL values!)

But, ranting aside, thanks to Colin for pointing out the two links,
which can be quite useful if taken with a grain of salt.

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science    Web:     http://cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/