[RndTbl] Climate change is messing with GPS time-keeping!

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Fri Aug 6 02:39:01 CDT 2021

 From the fediverse, we are told:

*
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225215051_The_influence_of_global_warming_in_Earth_rotation_speed
*
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11555-global-warming-will-make-earth-spin-faster/

It was also pointed out, and I agree at least to *some* degree, that
~50y of data is not really enough to *reliably* link anything
climate-related to geodetic changes when we know that both of those
domains have processes lasting centuries if not millennia.

Also curious how this paper was published in 1999, but we're only
hearing people making that link in public discourse in 2021.  Doesn't
negate the research, it's just curious that it lay fallow this long.

Regardless, the point ultimately is that older NTP software will
probably barf in a nasty way when a negative leap second is issued.
Keep your NTP software up to date!

-Adam