[RndTbl] shaw 2nd ip

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Wed Dec 1 16:05:59 CST 2021

John,

I think you might be conflating two different types of virtual
interfaces.  The eth0:n notation is for a virtual interface that works
at the IP layer, and shares the link layer, including MAC address, of
the parent interface.  Like this...

https://linuxconfig.org/configuring-virtual-network-interfaces-in-linux

Then there's the eth0.n notation (note the "." rather than the ":") for
a macvlan interface that works at the link layer, and can have a
separate MAC address (and VLAN) from the parent interface.  This shows
an example of each...

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/21841/make-some-virtual-mac-address

And this gives all the gory details of various types of virtual
interfaces for various VM hosting scenarios...

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/10/22/introduction-to-linux-interfaces-for-virtual-networking

(I learned some new concepts and lots of new terminology from this last
one.)

In any case, Linux does indeed provide a way (or more) to support
multiple MAC addresses on one physical Ethernet interface, so setting
this up for multiple dynamic IP addresses from Shaw should be doable.

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux		E-mail:	<gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>
Dept. of Computer Science	Web:	http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/