[RndTbl] Noisy fan

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Tue Feb 2 21:59:12 CST 2021

On 2021-02-02 9:47 p.m., Kevin McGregor wrote:

> Also, after investigating further, the fan seems to be running
> reasonably well, but in a certain (alas very common) RPM range some
> kind of harmonic develops and the noise is... Not something you want
> to hear more than once.

Ball bearing fans will run very long past their prime, sounding
*terrible* all the way to the end. Yes, they do move air still, no
problem. And yes, they will make you crazy if you're sensitive to it.

Fun fact II: my brand-new Corsair power supply has less than 100 hours
of usage, and as much as I tried to not bother, I will end up opening a
warranty claim. The reason: a very, *very* subtle "screeching" noise
that happens when the temperature is just right for it to spin at a very
particular speed. I tried all sorts of witchery to see if it would just
leave me alone, but it doesn't, and I can't let it go.

> Hey Alberto, I'd like to try out that fan you have. Maybe its
> harmonics won't drive me batty. I'll contact you shortly.

I've tested it and it looks OK. Still, as you found out, you may need to
see how it behaves on your particular application to make sure it is not
worn out "just right". :S

Kind regards,

--
Alberto Abrao