[RndTbl] Windows activation on Linux VM host?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Jan 21 02:55:00 CST 2021

Is it possible to run a virtual Windows (10) on a Linux host running
something like virtualbox?  It has to be normal Win 10 Home or Pro though,
no corporate licensing.

I ask because I'm unsure how Windows activation (cursed be!) handles that
situation.  I'd like to be able to run the same host image on 2 different
boxes (but not at the same time) and not have it moan about activation.
So I guess the question is more this: does the VM hide/abstract the
hardware enough from Windows to have it think it hasn't changed boxes?

(The idea is a portable drive with the VM on it would travel between 2
locations which are never used simultaneously.  Each location would have
an identical Linux box.  Don't ask why; suffice it to say that speed is
paramount and cloud or net access or remote access won't cut it.  Lugging
the entire box is not an option.  Laptop is a very sub-par option.)

Thanks!