[RndTbl] Windows activation on Linux VM host?

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Thu Jan 21 08:27:59 CST 2021

If you have a hardware-based activation token (aka SLIC, which is
embedded into the BIOS for anything new enough), there are way to pass
that through using KVM. I assume there's something like this for
VirtualBox as well, but I never cared to check *cough* Oracle *cough*.

If you don't, you can pass the required hardware registers and use a key
to activate the install. Then, as long as you pass them again (or
install on bare metal), you'll have the means to activate again.

If both machines have been activated at one point, passing SLIC through
means they will activate, even if they recognize the hardware is not
really the same - and they will, as although the abstracted layer can
(and probably) will be the same, the SLIC portion will be different. If
both have been activated and valid, that should not be an issue. It will
just re-arm itself.

You'll need two licences - one for each machine. Still, should you ever
decide to do something else with them, it will be there for you to use.

I am sure there are ways for you to go further ahead and pretend they
are one and the same, but you will be right at piracy territory. That's
NOT to say you won't be there already by doing what I just described -
it takes a lot of research to be an expert on MS licensing, and I could
not care less - but then you can always argue that you stretched the
situation to give them the most money possible, and that should be
enough, I hope.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao