[RndTbl] Windows activation on Linux VM host?

Kevin McGregor kevin.a.mcgregor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:42:11 CST 2021

Yes, this will work fine.

I'm assuming you will create a Windows VM on one Linux box (KVM,
VirtualBox, VMware, whatever), then install Windows 10 into that VM. When
Windows is installed and boots, it will get activated *in that VM image*,
which is 100% supported by Microsoft. Don't p2v. If this VM is stored on a
removable media, you would just shut down the VM, unplug the media, move it
physically to a different Linux host, plug it in, then boot the VM.

Windows will still think it's running on the same VM, *because it is*, and
thus not need reactivation.

If the two Linux hosts have different CPUs (keep the same manufacturer and
gen) you should have no problem. Everything else about the VM is
encapsulated - BIOS version, motherboard, devices, etc. The versions of the
virtualisation software should be the same or as similar as possible.
Obviously don't try to boot a VM on VirtualBox on one host and KVM on
another host.