[RndTbl] mouSTer Brings USB to Retro Computers

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Jan 27 04:21:45 CST 2021

On 2021-01-27 Adam Thompson wrote:
> You know who you are... *ahem*
>
> https://hackaday.com/2021/01/22/mouster-brings-usb-to-retro-computers/

ooooooooh, gonna get one or three... I was going to suggest perhaps a
combined order for interested members, but it looks like they only made
a tiny run and they are almost sold out, so I think it's every man for
himself!  Looks like it ships from Poland.

They show it on a 520ST with side-mounted ports, but 1040's had the 2
DB9 ports mounted in a gap under the chassis which was notoriously
tight and really really tricky to plug anything into, let alone
something that looks like it might be bulkier than normal connectors.
It won't work at all if that jutting-out usb connector faces up.
(Brad?)

The linked to site says it'll fit a 1040, so it should be fine.  After
all, it's not called the "MoAmigaster" :-)  (Sorry, Tyhr!)

Fascinating they've made it work to emulate ST joysticks too!  That's
crazy.  Joysticks that don't have a switch (or 3) are really hard to
find these days.

Gotta love the uber-Atari-fans from Europe making all these crazy
devices!  I still need to get me one of those LCD-on-ST adapters...
Still have Atari monitors, but the 60 (50?) Hz flicker and <10" usable
screen will drive you batty after a while.

Update: Ordered 2!  We'll see what happens.