[RndTbl] I...am not feeling too well...

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Mon Mar 15 14:12:02 CDT 2021

On 2021-03-15 1:55 p.m., Chris Audet wrote:
> I'm not a telecom guy, but is this really a concern?

Neither am I, but I would say that yes, it is.

> In 2019 the CRTC forced the big ISPs to allow smaller ISPs to resell
> their networks.

That's only part of the equation.

It's not only about what you pay - or the speeds you get - but
increasingly about the underlying infrastructure and its upkeep. You
need to look forward before it comes back to bite you.

A million players renting infrastructure from companies that don't give
a flying expletive about that won't make it any better, quite the
opposite, actually.

I was not getting more bandwidth back in Saskatchewan, but I did have
fibre to the home. That means I could, and probably would - eventually -
get more. I assume SaskTel did not have a big pipe going to a city with
10k people back then, but the infrastructure is already there for when
they want to do so.

Here, I am on Coax. Which limits my upload considerably, although my
download is great. I don't have the knowledge to say how far Coax can
possibly go, but there must be a reason why new deployments are all fiber.

Infrastructure is hard, expensive, and does not conduct to great
shareholder value, our quintessential 21st century religion. So
companies tend to avoid doing it unless they must.

That's why Bell MTS relied on copper, and Shaw on Coax. Still, because
Shaw is not a big player nationwide, it did have the incentive to grow
on markets where it is established. Bell, not so much, especially in
Western Canada (a blip in the radar, population-wise).

Now, imagine what will happen when you bring another Eastern fat telecom
cat to play around these parts... hell, even small-ish town Ontario was
neglected by all of them infrastructure-wise. I shudder to think about
what what they'll do to Manitoba.

I hope I am wrong, though. Still, 4th place *has* to care, 2nd place?
Nah, just join the table, let's have some drinks.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao