[RndTbl] Rural Fiber with Rural Connections Manitoba Ltd?

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Sun Mar 21 11:08:37 CDT 2021

Rural fibre based internet is happening. A company originally based in
western Manitoba RFNow is has partnered with RMs surrounding Winnipeg. I
personally live in Rockwood near Stonewall and am tentatively scheduled to
get service installed sometime this summer. I've also signed up for
Starlink so we will see which arrives first but in the mid-term I expect
the fibre will be the better choice. Starlink requires a completely clean
line-of-site to at least 1 satellite and I have lots of trees around my
house which gives me a limited view of the sky. Until Starlink has their
full constellation of satellites I expect service would not be 100%.

However, Elie is in the RM of Cartier which is not part of this program,
but perhaps they have their own plans.

Ground Breaks on New Fibre Optic Project to Connect Manitoba Communities |
ChrisD.ca
<https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/09/29/high-speed-fibre-internet-winnipeg-metro-region/>

High-Speed Internet - JohnQ <https://johnq.ca/high-speed-internet/>

John

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net>
wrote:

> You'd be much better off with StarLink than Xplornet. Up until this point,
> I think Xplornet survived because they were often the *only* option. That's
> no longer the case.
>
> I've never heard of RCML, which proves exactly nothing. I'll ask some
> folks in the biz.
>
> Good luck getting fiber, in any case - or rather, it's easy but insanely
> expensive to trench fiber down a public road.
>
> -Adam
>
> On March 20, 2021 1:44:50 p.m. CDT, Patrick Murphy <jvcpatrick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm no longer considering Xplornet; thanks! What about bringing fiber to
>> our farm located south of Elie? Does anyone has any experience with
>> Rural Connections Manitoba Ltd. https://rcml.ca/ I just found their
>> website today.
>>
>> They are offering $150/month 150mbps down and up with a $1,200 rural
>> installation fee. They are based out of Oak Bluff; there is apparently
>> no coverage map on their website.
>>
>> They also offer In-Town connections: $80/month for 100mbps down and up -
>> and no installation fee if you sign a 2 year agreement.
>> Patrick
>>

> --

John Lange