[RndTbl] How much did one second of computer time cost in 1975?

Brian Lowe brian2 at groupbcl.ca
Mon Oct 25 20:56:07 CDT 2021

Hello all,

Today with multi-core CPUs running at gigahertz speeds attached to gigabytes
of RAM and terabytes of disc space, we're well used to running programs that
require what would be enormous resources back when mainframes ruled the data
centre.

My question is "how much did one second of computer time cost in 1975?" This
assumes the program in question is being run on a mainframe from IBM or any of
the other manufacturers of the day. Of course, there are a lot of factors to
consider: leasing costs, staffing, power and cooling, if the system could run
more than one program simultaneously, and how computer time was charged back
to the users.

I'm interested to know if anyone on this list has had experience with this
sort of system accounting, and if they can recall some numbers.

Regards,
Brian