[RndTbl] Fwd: Can a pdf file itself be maleware

eh at eduardhiebert.com eh at eduardhiebert.com
Thu Jan 20 21:26:29 CST 2022

  Hi All,

Bringing this to a conclusion, what a breadth of helpful information!

I can clearly  now more knowingly, be safer and my thanks  to all who
replied!

I will be putting this to more use among my contacts, minus the names

I advance one caveat.  With the ongoing tech and means advancements over
time, one growing vulnerability may arise that email attachments even
when expected from known contacts may not always be safe because with
more smarts, they could be breached and the bad actors then lie in wait
until the parties bases their collaboration practices once identified
then become potential risk exposure events.

Oh? And one last thing if someone knows why and how to undo.  I copied
and pasted several as per below, but Bitters would not copy/paste unless
I did it paragraph by paragraph.

Best!

Eduard

Bitters wrote:
Seems to have a hyperlink inside the PDF that actually leads you to the
malicious software. So maybe that's one way it gets past virus
detection. It relies on the user to grab a secondary file from the
hyperlink. I might set up a VM later and see where the rabbit hole
leads. Most likely a keylogger if anything at all.

Checked out the link. It's one of the worst fake logins I have ever seen

On 19/01/2022 6:45 PM, Brian Lowe wrote:

> In addition to rendering flaws, PDFs can have embedded JavaScript. This
> is from the abstract of a paper published by the IEEE in 2014:

> An emerging threat vector, embedded malware inside popular document
> formats, has become rampant since 2008.Owed to its wide-spread use and
> JavaScript support, PDF has been the primary vehicle for delivering
> embedded exploits   . Unfortunately, existing defenses are limited in
> effectiveness, vulnerable to evasion, or computationally expensive to
> be employed as an on-line protection system. In this paper, we propose
> a context-aware approach for detection and confinement of malicious
> JavaScript in PDF.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6903571

Paper (ironically, a PDF) at
https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~dpliu/papers/dsn14.pdf.