[RndTbl] Fedora 36 subtle font breakage

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon Jul 4 16:42:58 CDT 2022

On 2022-07-03 Adam Thompson wrote:
> For the two of you this will affect :-) :
> https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/linux/Fedora36FontconfigMystery

That's crazy.  Glad this guy took one for the team to figure this out.
Too bad his writing is atrocious  :-)  But maybe he's EASL.

It's funny, during Fedora 34 (before upgrading to 35) my gnome-term
fonts suddenly got "kerned wider" and I had to screw around with fonts
and resize all my default/programmed window sizes to fit on the screen
properly.

I bet it wasn't necessarily the 35->36 change that did this, but a
change in versions of the underlying rpms, which also got pushed to F34
(and 35, and 36).  He just made the switch at the "wrong" time.

However, this does allow me to try his fix to see the effect... On the
flipside, this new whatever-fedora-did setup allowed me to switch my
terminal font from mono 9 to mono 8 and still be legible on my
semi-high-density monitors.  Something about how the math works on 9
that makes many mono letters look ugly and harder to read: at least
with the new fonts/setup.