[RndTbl] Bug in smart reporting?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon May 23 13:43:28 CDT 2022

Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 00:31:56 -0500
Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642, S/N:MN1220F317TJTD, WWN:5-000cca-369d1a23a,
FW:MN6OA580, 2.00 TB

Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 00:23:32 -0500
Device: /dev/sdh [SAT], 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642, S/N:MN1220F317TJTD, WWN:5-000cca-369d1a23a,
FW:MN6OA580, 2.00 TB

No reboot in between... Note the SNs are identical.  That's impossible.
The drive models are probably truly the same, but the SNs certainly are
not.  I think I found a bug in smart, unless someone can think of a
reason why I'd be seeing this.

The problem is, I just relied on a smart email like this to decide
which drive to pull and replace.  Now I'm not so sure the smart
reporting is telling me anything correct.

This is on a fairly new Fedora and smartmontools-7.2-11

>From today forward I would recommend double-checking smart reports
before acting on them.  (smartctl -a, hdparm -i, etc)