[RndTbl] Bug in smart reporting?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon May 23 14:28:45 CDT 2022

On 2022-05-23 Adam Thompson wrote:
> One scenario where you can see this is e.g. on the muug.ca server,
> where the drives are multipathed - i.e. two physical SAS channels
> reaching each drive.  Linux handles this by having two sdX nodes,
> then multipathd creates a single /dev/mapper/XXX device for you to
> use.

It is the old muug server, but I don't see anything in mapper and I
don't think it's multipath'd(?).  Each drive gets its own sata cable
direct to the board.

> On a non-multipath box, this could happen if the drive went offline
> and then recovered.  I've seen it happen, but I don't know how to
> reproduce it.

Almost certainly not the case in this instance.  The drives are very
stable, with just these semi-bad smart errors happening off and on for
months.  The array never went degraded nor resynced.  I get panic phone
alerts if that happens.  :-)

> My guess is it's the same drive, and the kernel decided it needed a
> new device name for some reason.  "dmesg|grep sd[gh]" might show you
> something useful?

I'll try that next time it happens, as I've since rebooted and
/v/l/messages doesn't seem to be doing all the kernel logs on this box
for some reason (even with trying to defeat all the journald stuff).

I'm sure I won't have to wait long...  I'm just miffed I may have
replaced the wrong drive in my RAID6 last night... but the resync was
100% ok, so no lasting harm done.