[RndTbl] On forcing people to get Google accounts

Brian Lowe brian2 at groupbcl.ca
Thu Nov 3 20:11:05 CDT 2022

A general question for the Roundtable.

Is it acceptable for Canadian companies to compel people to create an account with a giant
user-hostile American advertising company in order to get stuff done in their lives?

I'm referring to the tendency of companies to make Android apps available only through
Google Play. In its initial incarnation, the Android App store was free to use. If you wanted an
app for your Android device, you simply downloaded it from the store.

No more. Now that the app store is Google Play, one /must/ create a Google account to get
any app from it, including ones that are ostensibly "free." This requires giving Google some
personal information, which fortunately need not be accurate. At one point I understand
Google was requiring a valid telephone number, but that didn't happen when I signed up for a
(throwaway) account today.

But things get worse. One cannot simply download an APK from Google Play. /The account
must be associated with an Android device in order to install apps. /I most certainly do not
want to add a Google account to my Android phone; I don't trust them with the additional
information it would give them from whatever telemetry the phone is sending. In addition,
because they're American, they're not subject to Canadian privacy laws.

The most egregious offender here is Shaw Communications. In order to make even basic
changes to their BlueCurve modem (change the SSID or WiFi password, setup port forwarding
or DMZ, apply parental controls, etc) one /must/ use their Shaw Home app. They offer no
alternative.

In truth, there is an alternative: someone kindly uploaded it to apkpure.com. But that's not the
case for my Credit Union's app: it's not on apkpure. So if I wanted to use that app, I must
create a Google /and/ add it to my phone.

Why should I have to do that? Like I said, Google is a huge, user-hostile  American advertising
company that's not subject to Canadian privacy laws. So why is it permissible for Canadian
companies to compel me to do business with them?