[RndTbl] On forcing people to get Google accounts

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Nov 3 22:32:28 CDT 2022

Ultimately, any commercial entity can do whatever they want, as long as it's not (blatantly) illegal.  You have the choice to not deal with them, at least in theory.

That theory is pretty threadbare in some cases, but that's where your only recourse is political lobbying to change the rules so they suit you better.

My personal opinion is that privacy is an illusion and the faster you get over that, the easier your life will be.  *Should* that be the case?  Hell, no!  But what options do I have other than how I vote, and how I communicate with my various elected representatives?

This isn't a technical problem.  This is a social and political (and also macroeconomic) problem.  There may exist technical workarounds, temporarily, as there often are, but they aren't solutions IMHO.

In other words, go yell at your MP, not us, it'll be - microscopically - more useful in terms of long-term solutions.

Grumpily yours,
-Adam