[RndTbl] On forcing people to get Google accounts

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Nov 5 00:01:44 CDT 2022

On 2022-11-04 John Lange wrote:
> > 3. Use Linux, not Windbloze.
>
> Despite the fact that your post and the entire thread is railing
> against Android (which runs on Linux) you manage to blame Windows for
> violating your privacy?

Not sure where you're going with this.  I offered, as an aside, 3 of my
top tips to, in general, protect your privacy.  Someone already
mentioned don't use Windows (especially 11), and I agree, and thus it's
in my top-3 things people should do if they are privacy-conscious.

As for me personally, I don't use any Windows 7, 8, 10 or 11, so I'm
not blaming it for violating *my* privacy.  But if someone asks me
"what can I do", I would definitely say don't use Win 11.  Why?
Because of the telemetry and all the tracking and app store that
has basically turned it into the same thing as a cell phone OS (Android
or iOS) vis a vis privacy.

I'm not sure what's controversial here?  If you think MS and Win 11 is
honoring your privacy more than an install of Fedora 35 is, then I have
some news for you...

And I don't think anyone is "railing against Android", as iOS is
equally as bad, if not worse.  And it's not the linux-ness that makes
Android a problem, it's all the google-proprietary stuff they've forced
on the world that invades your privacy.  That's like saying iOS is
somehow also innocent because it runs on BSD.  The underlying
technology on these phones is irrelevant to privacy.  I use Android
every day, and I do my best to maintain a semblance of privacy as per
my previous post.  Doesn't mean I have to like the status quo and not
yearn for something better.

Brian makes a great point: "ANDROID IS SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN".  Yes, and
it is, and you can load the base of Android onto some phones.  The
problem is, everything that makes your phone useful is a proprietary
google add-on, and they've engineered it this way on purpose.  That is
(part of) what is holding back a truly FLOSS phone.