[RndTbl] On forcing people to get Google accounts

Hartmut W Sager hwsager at marityme.net
Sat Nov 5 06:42:34 CDT 2022

On Thu 03 Nov 2022 at 20:11:05 -05:00, Brian Lowe <brian2 at groupbcl.ca> wrote:
> The most egregious offender here is Shaw Communications. In order to make even basic changes to their BlueCurve modem (change the SSID or WiFi password, setup port forwarding or DMZ, apply parental controls, etc) one *must* use their Shaw Home app. They offer no alternative.

Those BlueCurve devices that look like a miniature space-age "Mars Lander" contraption cater entirely to the home entertainment crowd, who want to use their mobile (and an app) for everything.  And to add insult to injury, it's "all or nothing" re bridge mode - no selective IP pass-thru per RJ-45 socket.

Shaw still distributes the superb Hitron CGNM-2250 cable modem/router combo, which I've been using for a number of years.  It's the finest Shaw modem I've ever had (though the Motorola/Arris/whatever 3848V is probably also excellent), and the Hitron is configured the usual way via 192.168.0.1 from a local computer wired to one of its 4 RJ-45 sockets.

The Hitron CGNM-2250 does have selective IP pass-thru per RJ-45 socket (of its 4 RJ-45 sockets) - 2 of my 3 Shaw IP addresses are passed thru this way, and the 3rd one simply does the normal thing in the Hitron CGNM-2250.  And the Hitron CGNM-2250 certainly lets you configure SSID names (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), Wi-Fi passwords, Wi-Fi guest, several other parameters, and DMZ.

The main problem is, convincing the Shaw rep (on the phone) that you really want this device, and I had to forego a bit of financial incentive when I later added Shaw Limited TV but insisted on retaining the Hitron CGNM-2250 instead of switching to the "Mars Lander".

Hartmut