[RndTbl] "washing" a fork/exec to force all groups

Gilbert Detillieux Gilbert.Detillieux at umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 18 15:27:24 CDT 2023

Uhm...  You may be experiencing a "Heisenbug" here, in that use of
strace by a non-root user will nullify any setuid/setgid effect on the
binary being traced.  So, the EPERM error may have only been due to
strace, and not an actual underlying problem/limitation in either
setgroups(2) or the newgrp command.

Try without the strace, but see what groups you get by running "id" as a
child command under the influence of "newgrp" (or "sg", which I wasn't
aware of until you pointed it out).

Gilbert

Gilbert Detillieux          E-mail: Gilbert.Detillieux at umanitoba.ca
Computer Science            Web:    http://cs.umanitoba.ca/~gedetil/