[RndTbl] New Old Dell Server

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Apr 19 20:28:51 CDT 2023

On 2023-04-20 Adam Thompson wrote:
> Client access is via iSCSI (over IP over gigabit Ethernet)
> exclusively.  This isn't a big deal, everything speaks iSCSI... but
> you need an actual "server" (ahem) interposed if you want SMB or NFS.

Ya, but my point was does the SCSI-over-ethernet talk to a logical
(fake) view of the storage or does it talk SCSI directly from your
server, through the net/SAN, into the drives?  Forgive my severe
ignorance, I've never had the chance to play with one of these.

The answer to that I guess will answer whether or not you can chuck
SATA drives into the thing.

They still make SAS SSDs, no?  So I guess you could always do that, if
this thing will support them.  But then you have big $$$$$