[RndTbl] small laptop for linux

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Dec 21 22:17:00 CST 2023

On 2023-12-21 Adam Thompson wrote:
> They don't have much selection this week in the "tiny" space; whereas
> two months ago they had almost nothing *but* ultra-portables...
>
> As of today, however, this meets your needs (AFAIK, I haven't tested
> Linux on this _exact_ model, but I don't foresee any major issues) :
>
> https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/item/dell-latitude-3310-no-os-000004/dell-latitude-3310-no-os/1.html
>
> It's pretty bare-bones but so is the price.

Thanks!  I snapped up the last one.  The box is even better than what I
needed, and ticks all the boxes.

I *really* love the "no OS" *feature*, as every other refurb place puts
on a Win refurb license at $X additional cost hidden in the price.
Good site to keep an eye on, and not the first time you've mentioned
it, but it seems to always fall off my radar.

Chris, I'll check out Bauer too, as I'll probably need a beefier one
too.  I'm ok with Linux "issues" on the "gravy" stuff of a laptop...
but it's nice if the core stuff can work fairly easily.  I don't mind
rolling up my sleeves to get the "hard" stuff working.

Luckily, Dell is often one of the easier brands to use Linux with.

I'm also looking hard at the Pinebook Pro just for the heck of it.  I
really want to do some ARM with Fedora.  I have a funny feeling a new
version will come out in a while, and the old version should drop in
price, or it'll just be the newer/better one at the same price.