[RndTbl] Is there an Muug like community based appetite for alternative to USB3 to Ethernet, to make NAS

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Feb 9 22:17:54 CST 2023

While I'm no longer on the board, this - and similar ideas - have been floated several times in the past.

The capsule summary is, that with MUUG running such a service even on a strict cost-recovery-only, volunteer-only basis, we would not be able to meet, never mind beat, any of the commercial providers on cost or quality.  Economies of scale are a massive part of the business model, and we would have all the invariant costs, with none of the incremental revenue to amortize them.

The last time I ran the numbers for my own reasons (last year), what I pay Backblaze ~$10/mo for would cost roughly ~$200/month for a local operation, if operated on a "hobby" scale.  That's not a typo: scale allows them to reduce total end-user costs by 20-fold and still (presumably) make a profit.  Even more extreme ratios apply to public or private cloud hosting.

If encrypting your data locally and only then uploading it doesn't meet your privacy requirements, you probably shouldn't be connected to the internet at all...  Also, see Tarsnap, an online backup service for the EXTREMELY privacy-conscious.

-Adam