[RndTbl] Need to borrow a SCSI Controller

Alberto Abrao alberto at abrao.net
Thu Jan 12 08:16:20 CST 2023

Hello,

Thank you Greg, Trevor and Adam for getting back to me. I appreciate it!

On 2023-01-12 02:23, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> Like Greg said, need more info:
> 1. What level of SCSI is your drive?  And is it wide?  5, 10, 20, 40,
> 80; fast, fast-wide, lvd, ultra, etc.

I am not very familiar with SCSI, It may be easier for me to just
explain what I want to do.

Need to retrieve contents from Ultrium 2 tapes. I have on my hands:

- IBM TotalStorage Ultrium Tape Drive (3580-L23).
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/overview-ibm-totalstorage-ultrium-tape-drive-3580-l23

- SCSI Cable. One ends seems to connect on the drive, the other one
would connect to the card, presumably.

- A bunch of Ultrium 2 tapes which contents need to be retrieved from.

> 2. Is it external or internal?
External.
> Often the connector on the drive will tell you what you need to know to
> at least get connected, if not at the optimum speed.

There are two connectors. In between them, there's a sticker that says
SCSI LVD.

Speed  would be a nice to have, but if it is slower and I have to wait,
that's fine too.

My plan is to consolidate the contents of those older tapes on fewer,
newer tapes. There's one tape that I would like to retrieve the contents
from ASAP, but if it takes longer, so be it.

> I have a few controllers, I can loan you one as long as you don't need
> one too modern.  I probably don't have anything as new as a 29160 (that
> I'm not currently using) though.
That would be awesome. I appreciate it.
> I do have lots of cabling and some terminators.

That is great too. I have *a* cable here, but no idea if that's what I
really need.

Thank you everyone.

Kind regards,
Alberto Abrao